[Simh] Editors you love/hate.

Toby Thain toby at smartgames.ca
Thu Oct 4 15:27:35 EDT 2007

On 4-Oct-07, at 4:20 PM, Rich Alderson wrote:

>> From: Peter Lund <firefly at vax64.dk>
>> Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 20:54:08 +0200
>
>> On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 12:22 -0600, Brett Bump wrote:
>
>>> Hmm...yank yank print, or was that yank yank "2" print if I
>>> wanted my LA36
>>> to print me 2 lines (with TECO)?
>
>> I don't think TECO or its descendants are particularly nice,
>> either :(
>
> As maintainer (and occasional developer) of the original TECO-based
> EMACS, I
> take exception to that! ;-)
>
>>>   But for platform compression, the
>>> defaults for Windows has been (zip), for Apples (originally pac),
>>> for the
>>> Amiga it was (lhz or lha), original "Unix" was (compress .Z) and
>>> for the
>>> open source *nix variants, (gunzip, or bzip2).
>
>> I thought most Macs used StuffIt back in the day?
>
> "Back in the day"?  Still do, as far as I can tell.  In the 23+
> years I've been
> using Macs, I've seen DL, HEX, HCX, HQX (later misused by BinHex 5
> as well) for
> encoding, and PackIt and StuffIt for archiving (as well as one I'm
> forgetting
> earlier than PackIt with a .cpt extension

That is "Compact Pro". It was a fast, reliable and powerful
compressor, but the author stopped development at the Classic
version, since the complexities of supporting OS X metadata were too
great. I used it almost exclusively for software distribution since
late 1980s until about 2 years ago, a problem free lifespan of about
20 years... Apple's achievements in backwards compatibility are
frequently under-appreciated.

And not just that... Just yesterday I had to explain to someone that
Colour QuickDraw had complete multiple-monitor support
(heterogeneous, application transparent, and arbitrary layouts) a
full 20 years ago.

--Toby