[Simh] Interesting problem on Slackware 11.0

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 11:20:22 EDT 2007

On 10/2/07, Jason Stevens <neozeed at gmail.com> wrote:
> I built all of those on RHEL4 and added -static.  For the ethernet ones, I
> built my own libpcap, and again did a -static.. I had to remove some
> functions from libpcap to get it to build -static, but simh didn't call them
> so I didn't see it as a loss..
>

> On 10/1/07, Gregg Levine <gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10/1/07, Jason Stevens <neozeed at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Gregg, I would be interested in knowing if the binaires that I compiled
> > > here:
> > >
> <http://downloads.sourceforge.net/simh/simh-3.7-3_linuxi386-exe.zip?use_mirror=umn>
> > >

> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=154308
> > >
> > > work for you?  I know there is nothing more fun than 'building your own'
> but
> > > I would be interested in any feedback.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > Jason Stevens

> reference to `clock_getres'

> > Hello!
> > Probably would. Except that I did finally resolve my problems based on
> > the advice later in the thread.  It happens that to make it work for
> > building using the Linux tools and indeed activating the Ethernet
> > support functions, you (or whoever else does it next) needs to add the
> > same time library to the one for networking.
> >
> > Ideally we need to move to using the auto* tools and the way
> > everything else  is normally built for Linux and probably Minimal GNU
> > as well.
> >
> > Now the joker behind all of this, how did you build the resulting
> > binaries on your chosen distribution? And more importantly which one?
> >
> > To be honest I do not recall seeing that happen on the earlier release
> > I happened to be running on this collection of machines.
> >
> > Also we should continue this within the list. It makes more sense that
> > way. Also the SourceForge site isn't friendly towards the browser
> > that's distributed with KDE, probably works with Mozilla but since I
> > only use that reluctantly on this desktop.....
> > --
> > Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
> > "This signature was once found posting rude
> > messages in English in the Moscow subway."

Hello!
About all I can state here is an "Umph!" sound. I see your point. At
one point I was grabbing the latest libpcap from their site if it was
not in the Slackware-current space and building everything in much the
same fashion. Except I left it as is and didn't bother with the
-static idea for everything.

And aren't the filename.a libraries static linked libraries of the
regular Linux libraries? With the corollary that the filename.so
libraries the regular ones.
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com