[Simh] simH on slackware (or most linux for that matter).

Brett Bump bbump at rsts.org
Mon Oct 1 14:02:05 EDT 2007

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007, Peter Lund wrote:

> One of the things I'm working on (it's not in the 'build' branch yet) is
> the ability to check this automatically.
>
> It would be nicer if SimH built out of the box, wouldn't it? :)
>
> -Peter

I guess that's why it's for hobby use, but we could probably get Bob to
add a few lines to the makefile (and the zip archive).  When I first saw
this problem, I just looked into the makefile and noticed that the build
information was only checking for Apples, PizzaBoxes and Winderz.  I was
running Slack, so I just changed the OSTYPE conditional from "macos" to
"linux".  If you wanted to add a few lines to the makefile for different
platforms, you could just add a conditional statement such as this:

ifeq ($(OSTYPE),linux)
CC = gcc -std=c99 -O2 -U__STRICT_ANSI__ -g -lm -lrt $(OS_CCDEFS) -I .
endif

I put this 18 lines down in the makefile.  This should be accurate for
"most" of the linux distributions, PROVIDED that you MAKE SURE you build
from csh.  Don't use the default BASH (and many linux sh are BASH) as
the environment variables are different.

It would also be nice if Bob would create an empty BIN folder in the zip
archive (since the build stops when it's not there the first time).  The
missing BIN folder is just a trivial point, but catches me every time I
open up an updated release (make...wait, BIN error, mkdir BIN, make).

Brett