[Simh] slightly off-topic question

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Fri Nov 9 19:09:23 EST 2007

Alexander Schreiber wrote:

>>>My error.   You are right.   They say that your memory
>>>is the second thing to go, and I can't remember what
>>>the first one is.   :-)
>>>

>>:)
>>
>>NetBSD is probably the operating system to use with a DECSystem 5000.
>>

>Keep in mind that DECstation != DECsystem
>
>And yes, NetBSD runs fine on DECstations.
>
>Regards,
>       Alex.

DEC used the name "DECsystem" for two unrelated products. One was the
PDP-10 based 36 bit timesharing system that ran TOPS-10 and the like.
The other is a headless DECstation. A DECsystem 5000 is a DECstation
5000 without a keyboard or video controler, both are intended to run Ultrix.

I run Linux on a DECsystem 5000/240. No, there isn't a 36-bit port of
Linux. That would be an interesting project. Too interesting.