[Simh] VT220 emulation

Peter Moreton petermoreton at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Nov 7 03:25:48 EST 2007

Yes, I took a look at TeraTerm, but it did not support VT420 eightbit sending, and the source code was so obscure as to make a fix difficult. PuTTY is much nicer source code to work with. PuTTY also did not work with our OpenVMS system, but the fix (change the CSI sent when control keys are pressed from ESC[ to hex 1B) was easy to implement.

Before anyone asks, I did go down the route of getting the OpenVMS system login script changed. I'm presuming there's a $SET TERM /DEVICE=VT420 /EIGHTBIT or similar in there, whereas a $SET TERM /INQUIRE might be better. But our VMS support peeps didn't want to change something that so far as they knew, wasn't broke. No matter, it's a good opportunity to do some coding again... bliss!!!

Of course, if anyone has a similar problem, and wants my hack of PuTTY, just ask.

Peter Moreton

From: rickca at speakeasy.netTo: simh at trailing-edge.comDate: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 21:47:05 -0800Subject: Re: [Simh] VT220 emulation

There’s TeraTerm Pro.  It’s free, open source and supports VT100/200/300 emulation as well as TEK4010.  Also supports SSH.

http://www.ayera.com/teraterm

From: simh-bounces at trailing-edge.com [mailto:simh-bounces at trailing-edge.com] On Behalf Of Rod LandersSent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 9:22 AMTo: simh at trailing-edge.comSubject: [Simh] VT220 emulation

For whatever it's worth, I have tried:

Putty - doesn't seem to emulate a VT220 very well. VMS does not seem to recognize it as

           a VT200 nor does edt seem to work.

Kermit - not free and also seemed to have the same problem(s) (or configuration

            opportunites)  as Putty. It's demo license expired before I could get the thing to

            work.

IVT - this one was FREE and worked as a VT220 out of the box. VMS (7.3) correctly

        identified it as a VT220 terminal and edt worked. Now that being said, I have some

        keyboard mappings to work out and some relearning of keyboard keys, but it did work.

So I would recommend IVT, telnet'ing to localhost on a port that the vax simulator is running on.

73, Rod