[Simh] VT320 Terminal emulator for VMS?

Vorländer, Martin MV at PDV-SYSTEME.DE
Tue Nov 6 02:03:29 EST 2007

Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:
> On the subject of terminal emulators for (Open)VMS, you might also
> consider the venerable kermit:
>
> 	http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/
>
> Although kermit was originally developed to support interactive
> connections and file transfer over serial lines, in recent years, it
> also supports such activities over TCP/IP, and knows about lots of
> character sets (including Unicode) and terminal types as well.

As much as I like Kermit, I have to make two corrections:

- Kermit for Windows (called Kermit95) isn't free, cf.
  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html
  The price tag, however, is very moderate.

- Kermit for *ix/VMS/etc. (called C-Kermit) does not do terminal
  emulation, cf. http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckfaq.html#term
  It only uses what the OS has to give.

That said, I'm a happy user of Kermit95 (on Windows 2k and XP) and
C-Kermit (on *ix and VMS). It often has served me well when other
network connectivity was broken.

cu,
  Martin
--
   Emacs would be a great   | Martin Vorlaender  |  OpenVMS rules!
   operating system,        | work: mv at pdv-systeme.de
   if only it came with     |   http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/
   a decent editor...       | home: martin at radiogaga.harz.de