[Simh] HP2100 Fortran problem

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Thu May 17 11:27:52 EDT 2007

On 17 May 2007 at 12:47, Saporito Fausto wrote:

>       WRITE(6,99)
>    99 FORMAT(4RCIAO)

I haven't looked through your SIMH procedure carefully, so there may be
errors in it, but:

 - Unit 6 is the line printer.  I didn't see an "attach" for the LPS or LPT
   device, so you probably won't get any output.  Unit 1 is the console,
   so try "WRITE(1,99)".  (The mapping of units to SIMH devices is a
   function of which drivers are loaded in "sio16k11.abs".  The above
   mappings are typical.)

 - "R" format specifiers are not supported in HP FORTRAN (II).  FORTRAN IV
   does support "R".  Try "FORMAT(4HCIAO)" instead.

 - The correct manual for HP FORTRAN is 02116-9015, available from
   hpmuseum.net.  Later manuals describe FORTRAN IV and Fortran 77, which
   will have features that will not apply to the software.

> Inspecting the A register, the value is 000003 and, according to the
> manual, it means:
>
> A) Illegal character in FORMAT statement

That's it.

If you still have trouble after trying the above, let us know.

                                      -- Dave