[Simh] TECO for simh/RT11 ?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed May 16 08:18:32 EDT 2007

On 5/16/07, Robert Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
> > http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-11/teco/
> >
> > Yep - that's where I was going to send him.  Great place to waste an
> afternoon.
>
>   Wow - there are way too many choices on that site :-)  Which one is the
> "right" one for RT11?  TECO11?  Looks like I have to actually build that one
> from sources; I was hoping for a TECO.SAV that I could just copy and run.

There's _a_ TECO.SAV in the RT-11 SIG tapes up and over a dir or so...

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-11/rt/sigtapes/11sp13/teco.sav

Haven't tried it myself, but it's right there and easy to get (and the
size looks reasonable).

>   What are people doing for a text editor on simh and RT11?  KEDs et al
> requires a VT52 or VT100 terminal, which doesn't work with simh under
> Windows.

I always used KED, et al., on real PDP-11s with real DEC terminals (or
at the very least, a Wyse or CiTOH).  As for simh, since I do
everything under Solaris or Linux these days, the one time I had some
serious VT-100 non-compatibility issues with emulation (genuine 36-bit
emacs on TOPS-20 under klh10), the fastest solution for me was to hang
a real dumb-terminal (as opposed to a real-dumb terminal ;-) off of
the serial port on my Linux desktop and fire off a getty and log in
and run the emulator from a shell.  It was a genuine 9600 baud
retro-experience, but emacs *loved* the terminal.  Got lots of strange
looks from my co-workers.  :-)  (they didn't know you could use a dumb
terminal on a "PC")

Dunno what to suggest for Windows, unless you can find some way to
fire off a Kermit session that can connect to a simh session (since
Kermit does allow network logins - I use it all the time to move ROM
images via TCP/IP to a DOS-based EPROM burner).  The VT100 emulation
in Kermit should be good enough to run KED (the only thing I'd be
concerned about is the keypad emulation, since DEC editors are
notoriously dependent on the keypad - I remember it being important
which terminal emulation program I chose 20 years ago as some would
let me use the editor, some would not).

-ethan