[Simh] Any recommendations for a simh demo/presentation? #$

Tim Pinkawa timpinkawa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 13:55:58 EST 2007

On 3/7/07, Carey Tyler Schug <SqrFolkDnc at comcast.net> wrote:
> I've promised to do a presentation on the Hercules mainframe emulator
> next month, and thought it might be nice to include a short section on
> SimH also.
>
> Although I've been on the list for a while, I haven't been reading
> except rarely, and haven't done anything with SimH yet.
>
> ---------------
>
> First, does anybody want to recommend an emulated platform and a
> something to run under it that would be impressive to show?
>
> Second, do any platforms have ports of Linux or other free and
> open-source operating systems?  That is because this presentation will
> be to a Linux group.
>
> --
> --Carey Tyler Schug

I gave a presentation to a local Linux Users Group in 2005 on
Hercules, SIMH, and some other emulators available for Linux. As far
as Simh goes, they got a kick out of seeing UNIX v5 (over 30 years
old) running on an emulated PDP-11.

Here are the slides from my presentation in PDF. Simh slides start on page 19.
http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/lug/guides/emulinux.pdf

As far as modern operating systems go, NetBSD and OpenBSD are
currently maintained on VAX (as Emil said), but I don't think any Simh
hardware has had Linux ported to it.

Tim