[Simh] Problem with Ethernet on Vax

Bucher Andreas A.Bucher at alcatel-lucent.de
Mon Jun 25 10:26:03 EDT 2007

Hi there,

> Dan Williams wrote:
> > I know this is probably a libpcap problem but I though I'd
> ask here first
> > I have just compiled simh on my Mac Laptop (Having used it for a
> > number of years on Linux and Windows).
> > I can only connect the first ethernet device (en0) to the
> emulator. If
> > I try to use any other network devices I get a "File open
> error". When
> > I run "tcpdump -D" I get the following :
> >
> > 1.en0
> > 2.fw0
> > 3.en1
> > 4.wlt1
> > 5.en2
> > 6.en3
> > 7.lo0
> >
> > Does anyone know of any reason why the any of the other
> devices cannot be used ?
> >
> On my PBook G4, en0 is standard ethernet, en1 is wifi, fw0 is
> firewire.
>
> All files are present even the interface is not active or not
> connected.
> So maybe you try to open the wifi interface and wifi is not active ?

What says simh about the eth devices ? I mean, what do you get if you
say
simh> sho xq eth

On my windows box, I get a list of all (active) eth devices as seen by
simh via the libcap.

Sometimes, this order varies  (okay, there's VMWare on the same machine
...) and this means I have to change my ini file to tell simh to use a
different adapter. This is the only way to find out which enX is which
device on the host. Still I do see only enX devices, which are active
and existing on the host.
I still can tell simh to use any other device number, but if I exceed
the number listed above, I get the same file open error.
Like:
simh> sho xq eth
lists en0 to en3
and if I try to
simh> att xq eth4
File Open Error

I'm sorry I am talking windows here, so I can't tell if it will match
the Mac environment :-)

Andreas