[Simh] Slow startup/shutdown...of the VMS simulator

Villy Madsen Villy.Madsen at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 20 23:06:53 EDT 2007

I spent a few hours tonight playing with this...

As I mentioned earlier, the slow down is caused by a great number of writes (for
every byte on the virtual disk) by the windows application.  It also appears to
happen the first time that VMS writes to the disk.

The other thing that I have found is that whatever is happening only happens
once during a windows session.  Start the VAX emulator, shut it down (with the
attendent waits for the above mentioned silliness).  Start up the VAX, shut it
down - no strange io....

Restart the windows and it comes back again....

Now to the interesting part.....

I ran the latest executable (ethernet support) from the web site and the problem
doesn't exist with that version...

(that version also seems to have given me an extra VUP!)...

My version (with the problem) was built using MINGW ( and probably an old
version).  And the idle feature is working very well indeed Bob!  Bob,  what
compiler did you use to compiler the executable ???

Also,  one feature that I had built into the throttle addon (using an extra bit
in the DN-11) was the capability of trapping the windows shutdown (or close
window function) and being able to force windows to wait until the VAX had shut
itself down before allowing it to proceed with it's shutdown process.

Does anyone have a suggesting for an existing device that I could "misuse" -
just to get a one bit channel between the SCP and VMS ??

Thanks

Villy

Villy Madsen
www.members.shaw.ca/villy.madsen