[Simh] changing from vaxserver to microvax

Bucher Andreas A.Bucher at alcatel-lucent.de
Thu Jun 14 10:59:14 EDT 2007

Hi there !

huh ? He quoted exactly what's written in the FAQ ...

Still:
simh> set ptr ena
Non-existent device

using one of the more current SIMH versions. (3.7-1, 3.7-0 and 3.6-1,
and further back)

But: I remembered that I had this problem some years ago, too, and since
the mentioned FAQ is still dated 2004, I tried the oldest available SIMH
(3.3-1) version I have: Enabling ptr works fine :-)
So, I guess support for PTR/PTP has been dropped in VAX3.3-1 and later
(the devices are missing there, at least in the pre-compiled exe-files
for windows) - btw, why ? OK, no one with sane minds still uses paper
tapes, anyway :-)

The only thing to do is to patch byte 4 in the ka655x.bin file from 02
to 01. For that, the PTR (paper tape reader) device of simh was
"misused" because it can handle binary streams of bytes w/o conversion.

I guess it should be possible to use any hex editor to achieve the same
result, no ?

Or, simply fire up the simh PDP-11 emulator and use the commands as
listed in the FAQ - that will do the trick !

Andreas