[Simh] trouble with idle detection on VAX (Thomas Pfau)

Villy Madsen Villy.Madsen at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 12 20:46:46 EDT 2007

Bob

If the timeouts are dependent upon cycles executed then you are undoubtably
correct.  However the same issue would occur with SIMH running in any shared
environment.  If there are other applications running, they are going to affect
how long the timeouts take.  I do note though that the system clock is not
loosing or gaining time.....

I haven't had any issues that I am aware of with the approach that I am taking -
but then I am not running any time critical tasks.  I do note that with the min
throttle set at 4 it does take a few seconds to start responding well (at 4 the
vupometer says I have a 1/10th of a 780, at 10 it's 1.1 780s and at 100 4.5
vups)....

If you are interested in adding the code (and/or the automatic shutdown feature
for the Windoze environment) as an option to the base build for the VAX, I would
be willing to clean up the documentation.

Villy