[Simh] trouble with idle detection on VAX

Villy Madsen Villy.Madsen at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 12 09:42:22 EDT 2007

1.5 ghz Pentium

and to be truthful, I can't remember if it's boot time or afterwards - but I wasn't happy with it..

NOTE!!!!!!  WARNING!!!!!

I am still finding that there is still something strange going on when mounting VAX disks (running under XP).  What I think is happening is that Windoze is sometimes mapping the entire disk into memory (a la Noncontiguous Shared Segment <G> anyone recognize that term).  When that happens, windows reads every byte on the virtual disk before VMS can mount it...

That could be the source of the slow boot-up of VMS (if you are running under windows)

Having said that, I was displeased enough with the response of the new virtual machine that I went back to the previous version with my throttling patch...

Villy