[Simh] How to emulate PDP-10 on simh and load Tops-10 operating system?

Vince Mulhollon vlm at mulhollon.com
Mon Jun 11 13:29:27 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 11:54:30AM -0400, Sternbach, William  wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use simh to emulate the hardware of a PDP-10.
> I would like to run the Tops-10 (DecSystem-10) operating system.
> Once that is running, I would like to use the original Dec-10 Pascal,
> Lisp, Fortran, and APL
> and SOS editor full screen editor.  I've already downloaded all this
> original Dec-software from
> the internet.
>
> I'm specifically interested in a step by step guide on the steps in SIMH
> that I would need to do
> to load the tops-10 operating system, create a userid, and how to load
> the compilers.
>
> If anyone has detailed step by step instructions on how to do this, I
> would greately appreciate it.

Google's got a good start

Hit www.google.com and search for: tops-10 simh installation guide

The first two links are step by step howtos explaining how to install
basic, fortran, and enable the dataset lines.

The URLs for the fortran install is:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/asunnet/pdp10/t10fort.txt

Play with that url trying for index.html and you'll eventually get:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/asunnet/index.html

Click on "DEC PDP-10 Emulation (on Solaris)" and you are there.

This will get you a working TOPS-10 with fortran and BASIC.  It's a good
start.