[Simh] Proposed Nova subsystem update

Bruce Ray bkr at WildHareComputers.com
Mon Jun 4 14:20:55 EDT 2007

G'day Bob -

Thanks for the good comments.

1) RDOS file names are different than the DG hardware device
names/mnemonics.  Other Nova operating systems (DG original DOS, DG MP/OS,
DG MP/AOS/AOS, DG ADES/DTOS/ADEX, Keronix KMOS, Wild Hare MTX, VMOS, DDOS,
Point 4/EDS IRIS, BITS, MCS, CDOS, XDOS,...) used the same hardware device
names/mnemonics that I proposed but could have totally different device
names in the operating systems.  Since this is an Nova hardware emulator -
versus an RDOS emulator - I proposed that the most universal name, the
hardware name, be used for devices.  This would be increasingly appropriate
if/when anticipated future successful OS acquisition and archiving efforts
progress...

2)  Reverse comment by substituting "operating system-specific" for
"hardware".  (Who do you preferr to please - hardware weenies or software
weenies?)

3) I agree for praticality sake.  Sometimes aesthetics appeal better at 3 AM
before implementation reality at 4 AM.  :-)

4)  Yes.  If we took the programs from actual DG PROMs this would be a a
concern, but the program code and format is available from multiple sources,
including from user group notes, DG's own programming notes,  independent
vendors and "clean" reverse engineering.  If that is not enough:  we
developed and burned our own boot code and PROMs in 1970 so could consider
Wild Hare the source; or call it a Point 4 boot PROM for which we have
official legal clearance (Wild Hare is the official Point 4/EDS archivist).

Bruce