[Simh] HP2100 Fortran problem

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Fri Jun 1 16:50:41 EDT 2007

On 1 Jun 2007 at 16:13, Saporito Fausto wrote:

> The strange thing is after the first phase the compiler doesn't return
> to the emulator, but it seems to wait for something, and I have to
> press CTRL-E to have the prompt and load the phase 2.

OK, the problem is that the compiler is printing an error message:

    FTN,B,L
          WRITE(2,99)
       99 FORMAT(4HCIAO)
          STOP
          END
>>> E-0012: 0000 +0001
    END$

It is not recognizing the "END$", so it thinks that there is more source
code to be compiled, so it is waiting for the paper tape reader.  That is
why you have to press CTRL+E to stop the compiler.

The fix is to move END$ to column 7 in the source file:

  FTN,B,L
        WRITE(2,99)
     99 FORMAT(4HCIAO)
        STOP
        END
        END$

Now when you run pass 1 of the compiler, it does not print the error
message, and it stops automatically with a HALT 102077.  Running pass 2
produces a good relocatable tape (test2.rel).  Loading that tape into BCS
no longer gives the L08 error, and the program runs as expected.

                                      -- Dave