[Simh] Large tape device? (was Devices and device names in simh?)

Edward Berry eaberry1 at pacbell.net
Sat Jul 28 18:47:56 EDT 2007

Can I get a simulated tape device with large capacity?

I made images of real savesets from tape up to ~2 GB and they work fine.
but if I start with a blank tape, either letting simh create the file or
creating it with dd</dev/zero, then try to backup a disk to it, it fills
after about 98 MB and asks for the next volume.

SHow dev says TQ is TK50 (any other devices available? exabyte, dat,
and dlt don't seem to work.)

(Apologies if this is well-described in the faq or readme, I did
try to find it)

Thanks,
Ed

Yes- with the definitions like $ Define/System/Exec dia0 dua0:
in SYS$SYSDEVICE:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.SYSMGR]SYLOGICALS.COM
the system comes up and mounts all its old disks.
Most of the command files refer to the disks by their
labels anyway, like disk$data1, so the different device
names will not be a problem. Everything I need is working
great.
There are some self-perpetuating batch jobs in the que,
one is doing incremental backups every day to savesets on
a big disk, that works fine.
Another is trying to do full backup of 4 disks to a
tape device, and that is not practical with 100 MB tapes.

I realize it would be easier now to dismount the virtual disks
and copy the image files under unix, but I'd like to have it
running as original.