[Simh] VMS paging

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Sat Jan 20 21:24:59 EST 2007

The message you describe should not be occuring in normal
startup.  The normal startup sequence is very simple:

 >>>b dua0
(BOOT/R5:0 DUA0

   2..
-DUA0
   1..0..

%SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT Mapping the SYSDUMP.DMP on the System Disk
%SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT SYSDUMP.DMP on System Disk successfully mapped
%SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT Mapping PAGEFILE.SYS on the System Disk
   YSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT SAVEDUMP parameter not set to protect the PAGEFILE.SYS
    OpenVMS (TM) VAX Version V7.2     Major version id = 1 Minor version id = 0

PLEASE ENTER DATE AND TIME (DD-MMM-YYYY  HH:MM)  20-JAN-2007 21:18
$!  Copyright (c) 1998 Digital Equipment Corporation.  All rights reserved.

and then off into the STARTUP.COM file.

Are you shutting down VMS correctly?  VMS, like Windows, has to be
shutdown, you can't just simply stop the simulator.  (The command is
simply RUN SHUTDOWN from the system account.)  If you don't,  on next
boot you'll get the VMS equivalent of fsck or CHKDSK, which <will>
read every piece of the disk to try to verify or restore the
integrity of the filesystem.

/Bob Supnik