[Simh] Strange VMS 4.x-related bug

Andrew Warkentin andreww at datanet.ab.ca
Sun Feb 18 19:46:13 EST 2007

I have tried to run VMS 4.4 and VMS 4.6 under the VAX/11-780 simulator.
It boots properly every time without the mandatory update installed, but
it hangs after the system version have been printed on the console the
first time it is booted after the mandatory update has been installed.
If it is rebooted, it boots properly, but it continues to alternate
between hanging and booting properly on successive boots. I am not sure
if this is a SIMH bug, or if I have misconfigured VMS (but I just went
with the default install and did not change any configuration). It is
kind of weird that it starts hanging only after the mandatory update has
been installed. VMS 3.0 (in the VAX-11/780 simulator) and VMS 6.2 (in
the MicroVAX 3900 simulator) boot properly every time.