[Simh] Simh on Windows - long startup delays and long shutdown delays

dave porter dave.porter2 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 17 22:00:12 EST 2007

I think I started this digreession, so let me try and state my
opinions succinctly. Then I'll shut up.

This is not a question about whether the C RTL could have been
better designed, safer, etc. Of course it could have. It's simply
a question as to whether fopen_s offers any advantage in this
particular case. There is no advantage that I see. The ability
to get an error handler called on null fopen arguments is no
advantage  if you don't call it with null arguments, which of
course you're not going to do.  On the other hand, there are
disadvantages: (1) you're tied to one compiler system, (2) the
code is no longer idiomatic and thus is slightly harder to
comprehend.