[Simh] Simh on Windows - long startup delays and long shutdown delays

Villy Madsen Villy.Madsen at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 16 20:28:41 EST 2007

The best of all worlds is called VMS

<sniff>

Villy

  _____

From: simh-bounces at trailing-edge.com [mailto:simh-bounces at trailing-edge.com] On
Behalf Of Davis Johnson
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2007 18:16
To: simh at trailing-edge.com
Subject: Re: [Simh] Simh on Windows - long startup delays and long shutdown
delays

Andreas Davour wrote:

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007, Villy Madsen wrote:

I read a nice little article recently.  It talked about Security on Multics.

It mentioned that the O/S had been written in PL/I

It also suggested that it was very hard to program a situation in PL/I that

would ALLOW a buffer overflow

and that it was very hard to program a situation in C that would PREVENT a

buffer overflow...

I do use C - mostly to hack SimH and microcontrollers... I feel much

much more secure programming in Pascal (Delphi) or Fortran.  At least

they don't assume that I know what I am doing <G>

I wouldn't say it's very hard to prevent in C, but it sure isn't helped.

You can do it, and it's easy, but it also takes thought and intention.

Dave is very right about the amount of non-excellent C programmers is a

problem. Putting something like C in their hands is asking for problems.

/andreas

The same can be said for all the scripting languages that make it too easy to
interpret externally provided data as code. I'ts not hard to prevent, but it
sure isn't helped etc... and exploits are easier to develop.

Gimmie the best of all worlds. Where do I find it?