[Simh] Simh on Windows - long startup delays and long shutdowndelays

Rich Alderson simh at alderson.users.panix.com
Mon Dec 17 17:22:29 EST 2007

> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:07:30 -0500
> From: "Gregg Levine" <gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com>

> I disagree with the part concerning the state of VMS. It is not dead.  It is
> running on a newer stranger looking platform, and even faster.  While it
> certainly isn't a VAX, the IA64 hardware, a descendant of the Alpha (Itself a
> strange beast!), it is just as capable as the emulated VAX platform.

The IA64 is an Intel design, unrelated to the Alpha aarchitecture in any way.
The only relationship I know of between them is that some of the Alpha team
sold into bondage by Palmer ended up working on IA64 later.

> Therefore, we should continue to pursue trying to find those applications for
> it. Besides who knows how many hobbyist licenses exist out there for VMS, on
> a VAX, then on an Alpha, and even perhaps on an IA64 box. (Of course that
> release may not be available that way just yet. It just depends on how many
> hobbyists have that specie of HP branded servers living in their computer
> room.)

There are hobbyists running rx2620 workstations, from postings I have seen on
comp.os.vms.

                                                                Rich Alderson