[Simh] Simh on Windows - long startup delays and long shutdowndelays

Kevin Handy kth at srv.net
Mon Dec 17 12:25:12 EST 2007

Eric Schmucker wrote:
> I just don't accept the argument that MS employees are sitting around
> thinking of ways to lock programmers into their OS and tools. I don't want
> to start an argument about this since it's very off-topic and I don't feel
> that strongly about it. But I've seen many situations where MS made a good
> technical decision that was best for Windows programmers and people
> complained that it must have been for some evil purpose.

You should really read the comments made by the "wine"
developers. For example, they have found several cases of
documented function that call undocumented ones, just to
include a delay of some kind. These are obviously there to
make it harder to write competing software as fast as what
Microsoft supplies. I wouldn't be surprised by anything
those guys do.
> To a large degree our individual views on the broad range of technology out
> there are influenced by the environment that we grew up on. I started on
> RSTS/E (Basic+) and then VAX/VMS for many many many years. My whole view on
> what makes sense architecturally was solidified from the examples in the VMS
> system and library APIs.

And VMS is mostly dead now. Just try to find something
useful about it, like the price of a TCP/IP license by using
the phone. Make sure you have several days to
waste while being transferred, put on hold, and being
asked which version of Windows it's for.
> So my first exposure to the C RTL and then Unix certainly didn't impress me.
> I would never use those kind of APIs if I had a choice. You can tell when
> world class developers architected a system/API and when it was written by
> beginners.

Yes, the beginners write bloated, slow interfaces, and
the experts write fast, simple ones. Right?
> Ouch. I think I may be attracting anger from some people (Unix fans) and I'm
> sorry for that. I just wanted to add my support to the idea that if you grew
> up on an OS like VMS, avoiding calls like fopen() is second nature.

Yes, Unix programmers are always looking for people to
hate. Whenever you see someone programming C, they
are always filled with a burning hatred of everyone in the
universe, living or dead. Their only thoughts are filled
with the burning rage of how much they truly detest you.

Now, do we need any more of these constant "those Unix
guys hate me, they really really hate me" paranoia messages?
> The fact that Simh runs on so many systems is quite a feat and I respect and
> praise all the developers who make it possible. But I don't envy them trying
> to use the C RTL calls whenever possible to make it portable.

You hate the Unix RTL, but are impressed by the large
portable programs written using it. You like the VMS
RTL, which hog-ties you to one specific line of hardware.
Me, I've learned that portability is very important and
useful, especially if you write something assuming that
it isn't. It always comes back and bites me.