[Simh] Simh on Windows - long startup delays and long shutdown delays

dave porter dave.porter2 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 16 15:50:57 EST 2007

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 20:51:57 -0700
From: Villy Madsen <Villy.Madsen at shaw.ca>
Subject: [Simh] Simh on Windows - long startup delays and long
shutdown delays
To: simh at trailing-edge.com

>Then a couple of days ago I ran across a comment on the microsoft site that
>the
>fopen instruction had been deprecated - and that one should use the fopen_s
>instruction instead - unless one wanted to share the file...

Forget it. Microsoft thinks you shouldn't use that function, but that
doesn't mean you shouldn't use the function.

MS has correctly observed that some C RTL functions (say, strcpy) are
unsafe in the hands of idiots. MS has therefore introduced functions
with better behaviour and thinks everyone should use those instead.
Sure, but you no longer have portable code. And there's no gain if
you weren't using the original function idiotically in the first place.

Apparently, the 'security' angle of fopen_s is that if you feed
it incorrect arguments, it calls an invalid parameter handler rather
than immediately letting the MMU execption loose.

dave