[Simh] ka655/ka655x + copyright/licensing issues

Peter Lund firefly at vax64.dk
Thu Aug 30 17:11:42 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 22:48 +0200, Garay Péter wrote:

> The US Constition extract you
> mentioned does not balance the right of creators against the common good of
> prohibition on monopolies, so it is open for lawmakers to keep adding rights to
> IP owners without the respect to the commons.

The constitution clearly says that the reason for the exclusive rights
(the monopoly, which Franklin argued strongly against for patents and
certainly wanted to limit for copyrights) is to promote the progress of
science and useful arts -- I don't see how current US copyright law can
be anything but unconstitutional :(

> >> "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for
> >> limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their
> >> respective Writings and Discoveries."

-Peter