[Simh] race conditions in ethernet code?

Peter Lund firefly at vax64.dk
Thu Aug 30 15:41:19 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 14:14 -0500, Hittner, David T. wrote:
> The USE_READER_THREAD code was added by Mark, as an option for those
> platforms that are so slow that they drop packets.
> I have never tested it, but Mark assures me it works on his very slow
> (<500 Mhz Intel) platforms.

That's a really comforting guarantee against heisenbugs ;)

Now that you are here, can you give me a sketch of how the code in
sim_ether.c works in relation to the device drivers in PDP11/pdp11_x{q|
u}.c?

I am trying to hook up a "pretend" ethernet device and a built-in
DHCP/BOOTP server + an NFS server.  This is inspired by what qemu (a PC
emulator) does.  It allows one to start qemu just about anywhere and
easily get access to ones files from within whatever operating system
qemu is booted with.

I'd like to do the same for simh.

(qemu has a built-in SMB server -- SMB is the protocol Windows uses --
but NFS is more normal in the Unix world and I'm trying to make it easy
to get the VAX Linux up and running.  There's way too much setup and too
many cryptic simulator commands to type at the moment.)

-Peter