[Simh] ka655/ka655x + copyright/licensing issues

Peter Lund firefly at vax64.dk
Wed Aug 29 10:29:33 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 09:14 -0500, Vince Mulhollon wrote:

> As far as all this "belief" and "feelings" stuff goes, thats for holiday
> cards and valentines day gifts... copyrights and licenses have to be
> handled with legal logic (oxymoron ?).  No one would be more happy than
> me to include the microcode, but I have no idea what kind of copyright label
> might be physically silk screened on the eproms, don't know the date the
> eprom was burned relative to the era of mandatory software copyright,
> its all about as cloudy and vague as can be.  If you're not perfectly
> comfortable with the possibility of explaining it in court, then it's not
> clear enough.

Which is why I checked old copies of Dansk Varemærketidende very
thoroughly before choosing my current domain name...

(All trademarks registrations are announced in "Danish Trademark Times"
-- Compaq DK deregistered VAX as a trademark a long time ago.)

So I understand your concern.  I was not intending to slight you for
being prudent.

> I periodically bring this topic up, nothing heard but the crickets...

Thank you for doing so -- and for packaging it in the first place, of
course :)

Let's hope some solution occurs at some point.

-Peter