[Simh] Disappeared doc files

Peter Lund firefly at vax64.dk
Thu Aug 30 16:19:16 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 17:04 -0300, Toby Thain wrote:

> There are many such formats. One is reStructuredText:
> http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html

Here's another:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-apt-format.html

This one is actually called Almost Plain Text and was the first format
of that kind I saw, back in early 2001.

How about we find out which one is easiest to install on both Linux and
Windows and still has acceptable output and markup?

apt is written in Java, as far as I recall, so it can be a bit of a
hassle to install.  rst is Python so it is probably easier.

This was enough for me to get it installed:
   sudo apt-get install python-docutils

And this was enough to play (on Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, a Linux
distribution):

   pico test.txt
   rst2html test.txt | links
   rst2html test.txt > test.html
   gnome-open test.html
   rst2latex test.txt > test.tex
   latex test.tex
   xdvi test.dvi
   pdflatex test.tex
   gnome-open test.pdf

And I see that I can choose my own HTML stylesheet (embedded or linked).
Nice.

I think rst has won.  How hard is it to install on Windows and Mac?
Is there a VMS implementation? ;)

-Peter