[Simh] ka655/ka655x + copyright/licensing issues

Phil Mendelsohn phil at rephil.org
Wed Aug 29 10:00:01 EDT 2007

Peter Lund wrote:

> 2) Debian/Ubuntu ships a crippled version of simh because they
> intentionally remove the firmware because they believe the copyright and
> license situation is unclear.  Is there anything we can tell them to
> make them feel that it's safe to not excise the firmware?

Not unless "we" means HP's legal dept.

"Crippled" is a little strong.  You can simply download the microcode
from trailing-edge.

HP isn't really looking to spend resources prosecuting this issue, I'd
wager, but Debian isn't looking to compromise their free software
principles.  Since the code has never been stated as released into the
public domain, it's not.  Get such a statement, and you'll find it in
your .debs.

I don't think the situation will change anytime soon.  The Hobbyist VMS
people would probably be a good channel to go through, if you wanted to
pursue it, as they've gotten the Hobbyist licenses set up and have lines
of communication.  Personally, I'd probably just leave it alone - from a
pragmatic POV, it matters little.

Just my two cents,
Phil Mendelsohn

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." -- Anonymous