[Simh] High real system paging on WIN/XP running SIMH

Villy Madsen Villy.Madsen at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 7 15:25:04 EDT 2007

Finally found something interesting - although I don;t know if it's really a smoking gun....

MSVCRT.DLL was replacing under XP/SP2 to: correct
: Programs
				  that use the _read function to access very large files do not receive the
				  correct data in Windows XP

In this particular case - large files are defined as anything over 4GB.

My files are not that large - one is 2 GB and the other is 4GB and the problem that I am having occurs with both.

The timing seems to be about right for when I saw it start to happen - makes one wonder if what we are experiencing is part of the fix???

My XP distribution is at SP2 - does anyone have an SP1 version of MSVCRT.DLL ???

Villy