[Simh] XVM/RSX

Andrew Warkentin andreww at datanet.ab.ca
Thu Sep 28 20:34:49 EDT 2006

bsupnik at comcast.net wrote:

>Andrew,
>
>You've certainly gotten much further than anyone else, but I'm confused about how you go to this point.
>
>1. Where did the disk image xvmrsx_rf.dsk come from? There's an XVM/DOS image on the SimH web site, but no image for XVM/RSX.
>
>2. If you used the DECtape images from bitsavers, what was the procedure for getting them in place on the RF?
>
>3. Are you working from documentation, or just trying out the system?
>
>Thanks /Bob Supnik

xvmrsx_rf.dsk is just a copy of my normal XVM/DOS image on which I have
installed XVM/RSX.

I am going to re-install XVM/DOS and XVM/RSX, and will post a transcript
of the install later.

I am not working from documentation (the part on installing the system
is missing from the RSX manual on Bitsavers). It wasn't very hard  to
install RSX. It was just a matter of copying some programs off one of
the DECtapes, running the one program and answering the questions it
asks, and running the batch file that it produces and feeding it the
correct DECtapes.