[Simh] Dep bdr 0 doesn't cause autoboot

A.Bucher at alcatel.de A.Bucher at alcatel.de
Mon Sep 18 06:22:01 EDT 2006

Hi,

-----

Trying to debug my previous problem,
I changed my memory size to 64MB.
My paging problem on the real system (i.e.) xp went away, but the VAX wont
autoboot…
Change the memory size back to 128MB & it autoboots again…
Am I missing something ?? (it wont autoboot at 32 MB either)
Villy
-----
Just tried the same on my installation:
Normally, I run vax.exe V3.3-1 with 256M, and no matter which mem size I
set, the dep bdr 0 causes to auto-boot. (tried 32, 64, 128, 256).
But, with V3.6-1, setting any mem size of 64M or below, autoboot doesn't
work. If you go to 128M and above, it works fine.
There was a switch SET CPU EXTEND in V3.3-1 to also change some behaviour
if you are in standard (<=64M) or extended (>=128M) memory mode, but it
seems that this one was dropped in a later version (V3.5-x ?).
I tried some other settings, and here is the trick:
For memory sizes of 64M and below, you should use
> load -r KA655.BIN
If you go to 128M and above, issue
> load -r KA655x.BIN
and it will boot !
Why ? Don't know, check the sources ... :-)
Hope this helps...
Andreas
-----
Ehm, I just noticed that there is no KA655.BIN file anymore in the V3.6-1
distribution ... I had it present from my V3.3 and only replaced the EXE,
so I did not notice. Sorry :-)
Anyway, there seems to be a glitch in the code causing the problem
mentioned above, so somebody with experience might want to look into it -
perhaps only for the sake of completeness ?
Because, who wants to run a VAX with <64MB anyway if there is 1/2 Gig
available ;-)
Andreas