[Simh] VAXcluster on SIMH - is it possible?

Vorländer, Martin MV at PDV-SYSTEME.DE
Sat Oct 28 02:07:20 EDT 2006

Tim,

I haven't myself tested it yet, but I don't see any problems setting up a VMScluster using any combination of SIMH VAXen, real VAXen, Alphas, and Itanium systems.

VMS does not use dedicated hardware nowadays, but regular Ethernet with at least 10Mbit. So you'd only need to have a SIMH VAX with Ethernet support to enable VMScluster facilities.

HTH,
  Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: simh-bounces at trailing-edge.com <simh-bounces at trailing-edge.com>
To: Simh at trailing-edge.com <Simh at trailing-edge.com>
Sent: Sat Oct 28 02:44:15 2006
Subject: [Simh] VAXcluster on SIMH - is it possible?

I'm a newbie when it comes to VMS, but the idea of VAXclustering on
SIMH is interesting to me. I did some research a while ago and read
that VAXclusters had gone from using dedicated hardware to being able
to cluster over ethernet.

Does SIMH emulate enough hardware to support or VAXcluster? The reason
I ask is because I know from using Hercules that clustering (or
sysplexes) can introduce some complicated issues. For example, the
lack of an emulated sysplex timer on Hercules (and legal issues)
prevent setting up a sysplex.

If VAXclusters on SIMH are indeed possible, does anyone have any
stories about it?

Thanks,
Tim