[Simh] wincap 3.1

Mark Pizzolato mark at infocomm.com
Tue Oct 10 11:12:53 EDT 2006

--- Broer van Smeden <smeden at scarlet.nl> wrote:
> Currently I want to check some TCP/IP trouble. For this, I've
> installed ethereal. However this requires a higher version of
> WINCAP.
>
> But after installing WINCAP 3.1 or even WINCAP4.0 beta, my later
> version of
>
> SIMH has no access to the network anymore.
>
> (if required, I can send you the output of the console).
>
> Now I've installed again version WINPCAP_3_0_BETA.EXE, and my
> simulator is working fine.
>
> Did I do something wrong, or is the windows version not linked with
> the right library?

Simh works fine with WinPcap 3.1 and 4.0Beta.

As of version 3.1, WinPcap changed the order network devices are
listed on your system, and possibly lists more network devices than
before.  So, if your simh configuration is pointing to a particular
network device by using an "ethN" alias for the device, N may have
changed.  To choose the correct value for N, from the "sim> " prompt
in the vax simulator, you would type:

    sim> show xq eth

Good Luck.

- Mark Pizzolato