[Simh] Is there an assertion check for memory content ?

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Tue Oct 3 11:52:04 EDT 2006

On 3 Oct 2006 at 17:13, Walter F.J. Mueller wrote:

> the assert command allows to check the status of registers but doesn't
> seem to support checking the contents of memory locations.

If the machine has memory address and memory contents registers, then
ASSERT can be used to verify memory values.  I am  not familiar with the
PDP-11, but for the HP 2100 simulator, the M (memory address) and T (memory
contents) registers can be used as in this example:

  deposit M 126
  assert T=13

This would verify that location 126 contained the value 13.  Perhaps the
PDP-11 has similar registers?

> That be very helpful for creating command files which implement test
> suites.

Yes, that is precisely why the ASSERT command was developed.

                                      -- Dave