[Simh] Attaching a SIMH/PDP-11 virtual serial port to a physical port

Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 23 19:31:44 EDT 2006

Hello!
Let's I have two RS-232 ports on the host computer. I would like to attach a
SIMH/PDP-11 virtual serial port to one of these ports. One would be a
terminal port and another normally would be a printer port. I say normally
because in this context it won't be.

I am planning a project that would require a device to communicate with a
program running on just such a now emulated system. And naturally I thought
of using the SIMH/PDP-11 program to, ah, write it while the program is
emulating one of several operating systems, I am thinking of doing this
under UNIX v7 first, and then later 2.11 BSD from the TUHS archive. But my
first problem would be in having the system talk to an external terminal
emulator, naturally Kermit.

Of course for those enthusiasts who have worked with RT-11 more then with
UNIX and its descendants it would also be possible there. Assembler language
would also be as well, assuming I can find a text on it.

Bob would any of this be possible? Currently I do not have here anything
physical to test this on, and probably won't be for a very long while.

Comments, and questions to be directed to the list, and then to me directly.
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"The Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi