[Simh] RT-11 SIMH license inquiry (re: Mentec)

Dan Foster simh at evilphb.org
Tue Oct 10 13:03:11 EDT 2006

I am immensely appreciative of Mentec's generous contribution of RT-11
V4 and V5.3 for use under Bob's wonderful emulator (with many
contributors including Timothy Stark, Tim Shoppa, and many others).

However, someone recently pointed out something to me -- a careful
reading of the Mentec RT-11 personal use and non-commercial use license
posted at:

http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/pdp11emu.html

mentions:

	EMULATOR shall mean software owned by Digital Equipment
	Corporation that emulates the operation of a PDP-11 processor
	and allows PDP-11 programs and operating systems to run on
	non-PDP-11 systems.

This may have been a reference to when Bob used to work for DEC.

As SIMH is (as far as I know) not software owned by DEC or its
successors, does this mean the Mentec license is no longer valid?

Implication: need to stop distributing RT-11 for SIMH use if true.

Or has there been a newer version of the license granted for SIMH use,
without particular reference to DEC/Compaq/HP ownership of the emulator?

I figured SIMH folks would be in a better position to know the current
legal status of the license. Besides, I don't have contact information
for Chip Charlot (of Mentec) whom originally supplied the license so I'm
not able to ask for a clarification.

-Dan