[Simh] several SIMH instances

Michael Unger unger at decus.de
Thu Nov 30 13:17:06 EST 2006

On 2006-11-30 16:44, "Kevin Handy" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Patches are being worked on that will monitor the
> emulated CPU, and when it detects it in an idle loop,
> will cause the emulation to sleep. This can
> greatly reduce the load on the host CPU, allowing more
> instances to run without battling for CPU time, depending
> on how much idle time the emulated system has.
> On my system, CPU usage for simh went from 100% busy
> to approx 30% busy with the idle loop code during
> bootup of VMS. However this code is experimental.

Which mechanism is used to detect an "idle loop"? In the "MicroVAX 3900
Simulator Usage" Guide a "CPU history buffer" is mentioned, which could
probably be used to detect a "relative locality" of memory access and
command execution ("10$: GOTO 10" style loops).

> [...]

Are Win32 binaries available for testing purposes?

Michael