[Simh] VMS: Larger disks?

Seth J. Morabito sethm at loomcom.com
Sun Nov 26 15:58:54 EST 2006

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 10:47:14AM -0800, Zachary Kline wrote:
> Hiya,
> While I realize the problem of disk size is one which I might not deal
> with for a long time yet, I also understand that my system disk for
> VMS, as well as my user disk, is an RA92.  That comes up to about 1
> GB.  I was wondering about support for larger disk sizes?

Hi Zack,

You can specify a larger disk by setting the disk type to 'rauser'.
For example:

set rqn rauser=<size in megabytes>

where 'n' is the number of the disk device you want to create.

Here's the output of SHOW DEV D from my simulated vax showing off a 4 GB
disk mounted as DUA2:

$ show dev d

Device          Device         Error    Volume       Free  Trans Mnt
 Name           Status         Count     Label      Blocks Count Cnt
SIMVAX$DUA0:    Mounted            0  SIMVAX       2320047   149   1
SIMVAX$DUA1:    Mounted            0  USER         2940579     1   1
SIMVAX$DUA2:    Mounted alloc      0  BIGDISK      8188776     1   1

> Zack.

-Seth