[Simh] vax / netbsd screen characters during install

Vorländer, Martin MV at PDV-SYSTEME.DE
Tue Nov 14 02:49:15 EST 2006

sam wrote:
> the NetBSD installer displays its menus with lots of strange
> characters all over the place (the terminal it thinks it has is very
> incompatible with my Windows XP cmd shell, and it is
> difficult to figure out what the screens are asking me for.
>
> Is there some way to work around this?

I'm assuming that the installer uses a VT terminal emulation.
If it does, you can "switch on" temrinal emulation by adding
the statement "SET CONSOLE TELNET=12001" to your INI file, and
pointing some terminal emulator (Hyperterm if you don't have
anything else) towards port 12001 (the port number is just an
example). With the default "SET CONSOLE NOTELNET" the console
stays in the cmd window where SIMH was started from - without
any terminal emulation.

HTH,
  Martin
--
 O Lord, won't you buy me     | Martin Vorlaender  |  OpenVMS rules!
 an HP OS                     | work: mv at pdv-systeme.de
 its name starts with "Open"  |   http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/
 and ends in "VMS" ...        | home: martin at radiogaga.harz.de