[Simh] vax vs. vax780

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Nov 8 01:09:05 EST 2006

At 8:39 PM -0600 11/7/06, Tim Pinkawa wrote:
>Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between the vax and
>vax780 simulators? I realize that vax emulates a MicroVAX and vax780
>emulates a VAX-11/780, but other than that what is the difference as
>far as OpenVMS (or any other operating system) is concerned?

As far as I/O is concerned, there is quite a difference between a
VAX-11/780 and a MicroVAX.  Although I believe the MicroVAX emulated
is a Q-Bus system, so it's not as big as it could be.

Also the VAX-11/780 and the MicroVAX should have some pretty serious
differences at the CPU level I should think with regards to PDP-11
emulation.

Hopefully someone more clueful on this subject than myself chips in.

		Zane