[Simh] VAX-T and PDP-11-T

Villy Madsen Villy.Madsen at shaw.ca
Tue May 23 08:08:39 EDT 2006

The DN-11 had no communications capability - it was an autodialer
controller pure and simple. Any communications that took place was through
a standard ASYNC comm port which was connected to a modem which was
connected to an autodialer - which was connected to a phone line and also
to the DN-11.

Actually any IO device could be used since all the DN-11 connection is used
for is to provide an IO memory address - it doesn't even function as a
device.

and of course once autodialing modems became available - the need for the
DN-11 disappeared.  I don't know about others' experience, but our
autodialers (not the DN) burned up with amazing regularity (we used them
for dialing voice lines, the operators loved that feature !!))

Villy