[Simh] Update to VAX throttle

Villy Madsen Villy.Madsen at shaw.ca
Sat May 6 12:14:24 EDT 2006

I have made some updates to the code:

scp.h has been modified so that the whole thing works running under *ix.
 Thanks to David Holland for that.

VAX_CPU changes are cosmetic only - removing some commented out debug code
that I had added.

DN_11 changes to throttle the no_queue wait down more as the emulator is
slowed.

Throttle has some changes in it.  I was at times assigning a minimum value
for the throttle that really made the system too slow.  The logic has been
changed to hopefully prevent that.  It will now try to get a minimum value
somewhere in the range of .35 to .75 vups.

I also added some code to handle the situation where this process "loops
up".  The easy fix was to add a retry counter and if it runs out to crank
the emulator back up to fill output.  If you run into this problem, email
me the startup log and I'll see what I can do.

The makefile has the DN-11 module added in for the VAX and also changes the
optimization for W32 compiles from 0 to 2  (-O2 vice -O0).  Read the notes
in the makefile wrt issues with -O2.

VAX.ZIP contains a w/32 exe and the complete source code for the changed
modules.  It's small enough that I couldn't be bothered with running diff.

code can be found at http://68.150.97.212/simh.  The system isn't up all
the time, but you shouldn't have any problems getting it.  It is up most
evenings during the week (GMT-7) and most of the time over the weekends.
(please remember to refresh your cache!)

On another note, I tried rewriting the memory module to directly address
the bytes and words - vice the shift and mask process.  I was somewhat
surprise to find that there was no measurable difference in performance.
 That speaks a lot for modern technogy.  The big difference that I thought
I saw originally was due to my benchmark being against the original
distributed w32 executable - which has Bob has pointed out has no
optimization and all the debugger code included...

Please feel free to post any comments or suggestions.  Also please let me
know if you are using throttle.

Villy

Villy Madsen
www.members.shaw.ca/villy.madsen