[Simh] More on VAX Emulation under Linux

Paul Hardy pghardy at verizon.net
Sat Jun 17 01:59:35 EDT 2006

Thanks to the pointer to Cygwin/X - it looks interesting. I'm busy for the
next month, but then I'll have a go. I wonder how well it works when the VAX
X client asks the Windows X-server for a palette-color graphics mode (as the
VAXstation software would), when modern hardware only has direct-color
support?.

Rethinking my original post, I don't think I meant QVSS. That was the
monochrome display from the VS1, wasn't it (though even that would be better
than no graphics). What I'd like is an emulation of the 8-bit colour
graphics card used in the VAXstation II/GPX - I think that was the QDSS
(dragon chipset?). Put the complete virtual VAXstation screen output into a
Windows window, run X/Motif on the SIMH VAX to manage it, and away we go!

--
Paul Hardy
Email:   paul at paulhardy.net, web: www.paulhardy.net