[Simh] RK07 boot problems with VMS 3.0 and 4.0

Hölscher hoelscher-kirchbrak at freenet.de
Thu Jun 8 12:18:55 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm currently trying to install VMS V3.x and VMS V4.x versions on RK07 disks under simh VAX780.

First I boot Standalone Backup from a RP06 disk, then I restore the REQUIRED saveset from tape (TS11) to the RK07:

BACKUP/LOG/VERIFY MSA0:REQUIRED./SAVE DMA0:

This works fine.

But when I try to boot the new system disk there's always the following error:

sim> b hk0
%BOOT-F-Unable to locate BOOT fil
HALT instruction, PC: 000004C7 (BLBS 549,4C6)

The RK07 disk is o.k. (mountable and readable from other VMS V3.0/4.0 systems)

Is there a bug in the VAX780 emulator or is VMB.EXE not able to deal with RK07s?

By the way: Which version is the VMB.EXE delivered with the VAX780 emulator?
Can I use other VMB.EXEs from VMS media?

Regards

Ulli

P.S.
I'm already running nearly all VMS Versions 3.x and 4.x on RP06 disks successfully,
only V4.1 is still missing (no media).