[Simh] VAX 780 & BSD 4.2

Jason jsteve at vaxenrule.com
Sun Jan 29 20:44:24 EST 2006

I know I'm in way over my head, but I thought Id try to bootstrap 4.2 on the
new build of simh (Im trying win32 built with Visual C 2003 & OSX with gcc
3.3)

>From what I gather the 780 will only boot from the TUK50 tape & various
disks, so the RX console floppy and the TQ TK50 is out of the question.  So
I was thinking of making a 'hybrid' tape with the 4.3 stand program, and the
miniroot & dump/usr from 4.2 .  I am having trouble building the tapes using
backwr, The bootstrap will run, but when it does the 'copy' phase it seems
to read the entire tape & dump out to the entire ra disk...   What is the
best program to make tape files out of files on the filesystem? (ie stand,
miniroot, rootdump, usr.tar) And does the hybrid dump on the emulated
microvax & swap drives to the 780 sound even right?

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree on the whole thing, but thanks for
any help!

If it matters I'm dying to see if the 4.2 in the archive is 'vulnerable' to
the Cuckoo's egg cron issue that was in that Clifford Stoll book.

Thanks again!
Jason