[Simh] Getting a true Vax disk over to SIMH?

A.Bucher at alcatel.de A.Bucher at alcatel.de
Mon Jan 9 09:47:19 EST 2006

Hi,

Well yah - sure - if you don't have enough space on the system
to back up one if its disks, then you're in trouble still.

-----

Well, that's where my satellite boot idea comes handy:
The (emulated) system is net-booting from the sysdisk of the source (real)
VAX,
so it uses all the disks like the source system (the satellite is
diskless), _and_ additionally it
can mount any local disk(s) which would provide enough space for the
backup.

Then, the satellite (emulation) can copy from source (local, but in fact
via the network from the host) do destination (local disk from the
emulation point of view). you clone everything, including the OS, and you
get a identical copy of the source. or, you just mount a local (empty)
data disk on your emulation and put the copy there.

After that, you either boot the emu locally from the cloned OS disk and
enjoy the copy ouf the source (after some sysgen) or from any other local
pre-installed OS disk and just use the copy of the data disk.

The only disadvantage could be that you need to have clustering active on
the source and must register the emulated VAX as satellite node. I think
this is preferrable to having disk space problems (because usually, on a
real VAX, disk space is rare and valuable ...)

If it comes to just cloning a data disk (w/o open files), it should be
sufficient to pre-install the emulator with VMS, configure DECNet or
TCP/IP on both systems and use remote disk acceess and the BACKUP command
to clone the disk.

regards,
Andreas