[Simh] Getting a true Vax disk over to SIMH?

A.Bucher at alcatel.de A.Bucher at alcatel.de
Mon Jan 9 06:10:26 EST 2006

Hi,

> I have access to a "true" Vax, and would like to move over several
entire disks (2 -4Gb)  to my SIMH emulator. What is the best way of
taking a true Vax "disk" image and getting it over? There is, of
course, the backup to saveset, xfer the file, and then restore to an
emulator's "empty" disk, but I was trying to see if there was another
option ??

The easiest way would be to put your "real" vax and the emulated one in
the same network.

I assume, we are talking about VAX/VMS ?!

Then, depending on the existing OS on your emulated VAX, you have two
possibilities:

1)
If you want to start with a blank emulation and clone the "real" VAX to
the emulator, you might want to add the emulator as a cluster node to the
real VAX (user the cluster_config script). Then, net-boot the emulator as
satellite (diskless), mount the local disk and use backup with the
appropriate options (don't quite remember now, sorry) to copy the whole
disk contents (minus page/swap/logfiles, don't care) to the emulator's
local disk. Then, reboot the emulator from the local disk (remove the
satellite from the real VAX again), and do AUTOGEN to adjust parameters
and create page/swap. That's it.

2)
If you already have an OS installed on the emu and just want to clone a
data disk, put both machines in the same network and use backup again to
copy the remote disk contents directly.

At the time when I was working with real VAXes, I always used 1) for
installing new systems (using a standard reference machine), and it was
working quite well.

regards,
Andreas