[Simh] Interdata Emulation

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Sun Feb 12 17:54:40 EST 2006

On 2 Feb 2006 at 20:58, Davis Johnson wrote:

> I've just come accross the Interdata emulators, and have had a week or
> two of play.

For some reason, delivery of your message was delayed until the 10th.  Are
you still having trouble?

> The Interdata SIMH documentation says that a non-attached disk appears
> as "not ready". My command file looks like:
>
>     set cpu 832
>     set dm0 msm300
>     att -e dm0 dm0.dsk
>     att mt0 boot.tap
>     d 78 85a18540
>     set cpu hist=100
>     set br 954a
>     boot mt0

I don't know anything about the Interdata machines, but your command file
looks reasonable to me.

I note without understanding this comment in the Interdata simulator
documentation:

  "To boot OS16/32, the hex form of the operating system file's
   extension must be placed in locations 7E:7F."

I gather that you're accommodating that requirement?

Although I know nothing about your machines or the fidelity of the SIMH
simulation, from extensive work with the HP 2100 simulators, I can
recommend that a good place to start would be with the original Interdata
system diagnostics, if they are available to you.  Running the HP
diagnostics against the simulator resulted in 83 bugs being reported and
fixed.  SIMH now runs the HP RTE series of multiuser, multiprogramming
operating systems flawlessly, whereas they wouldn't boot when I started.
Tracking down problems one at a time via the diagnostics proved far easier
than trying to determine why an interrupt-driven RTOS wouldn't run.

                                      -- Dave